Friday, January 8, 2010

Traveling with a baby

Psychologists might agree that genetic instinct for parenting proceeds the need for comfort. Otherwise, we, as a species, would probably choose not to procreate. From the beginning of pregnancy, I have not felt the entire effect of that statement. I have not felt like I've sacrificed anything I didn't want to sacrifice. Until now.
We brought her with us because I am still nursing her, and I can't leave her for longs periods of time, like entire weekends. However, in choosing to do this, we sacrificed more than I was willing to admit. We could not stay at the party house, and no one wanted to split a hotel room with us. Luckily, the hotel was within walking distance to the venue, and the event provided a shuttle for the downtown late night venue. We chose not to rent a car, thinking we could probably get rides or walk. We walked every time. Getting a ride for 3 was impossible because we couldn't be split up. In retrospect, the rental car might have been worth the price. Lesson learned.
The biggest sacrifice, sleep. Big surprise, right? It's more, though, when we all stay up till 5 dancing, and Evelyn wakes up at 7, ready to take on the world. I can handle that for 1 day, but not for 3. I would have liked to dance more than I did, but my constant sleep deprivation had me stumbling all over myself like a drunk by the end of the night.

The upside, we were at most of the workshops. We traded off. I would just watch with Eva on my lap while Michael participated, and then we would switch for the next class. We got to dance with her, and enjoy seeing her reactions to the music and dancing. We got to feel really close to each other, like we are really equally sharing this responsibility. We spent less time partying with others and more time talking, walking, and loving on our nuclear family unit; and we didn't get sick of each other by the end of the weekend!

All in all, I learned quite a lot this weekend. Mostly, I learned what to expect for next time. I'm crazy about my girl, but if it can be helped, I will travel without her in the future.If we do bring her, we must plan to spend the money on a hotel and rental car, and miss out on most of the late night dances.

No comments:

Post a Comment