Friday, January 8, 2010

San Diego Fusion Exchange 2010

What a versatile, and well-organized event! These guys thought of everything! They arranged a hotel with cheap rates that's within walking distance of the event, with a shuttle for late night venue. They organized a Disneyland day. There wass breakfast and lunch provided. There was a shuttle to a part of the city that's densely populated with fantastic restaurants. And there was all kinds of different dance styles all fused into one: Tango, Blues, West Coast, African dance, Trip-hop, Hip-hop; with classes that can be applied to almost all of those dances: momentum, flying falling, being smooth, rethinking dance, lead/follow, musicality. It was all there! Because so much was available, many of the classes were directed at the more beginner/intermediate dancers. My highlight was the exercise class which came in the form of AFRICAN DANCE!

Here is my set list from the slow blues room of Saturday night:
B. B. King - Did You Ever Love a Woman
Jeff Beck - Drown in My Own Tears
Ray Charles - Every Saturday Night
Shawn Pittman - Reap What You Sow
Otis Spann - Dust My Broom
Johnny Charles - Memphis Blues
Percy Mayfield - Lost Love
Lonnie Mack - Stop
John Lee Hooker - Early One Morning
Robin Rogers - Can you Hear Me Now
B. B. King and Eric Clapton - Rock Me Baby
Chris Thomas King - Wicked
Nina Simone - In The Dark
Teddy Humphries - What Makes You So Tough?
The Black Keys - Lies
Junior Wells - Come on in the House
Muddy Waters - (I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man
Todd Rhodes - Blues for the Red Boy
Watermelon Slim - Bad Sinner
Koko Taylor - I Cried Like a Baby
Janiva Magness - Do I Move You
Shuggie Otis - Gospel Groove
James Cotton Blues Band - Jelly, Jelly
Etta James - Hawg For Ya
Buddy Guy - This Is The End (w Otis Rush & Willie Dixon)

Set list from Sunday evening:
Etta James - Don't Let My Baby Ride
Keb' Mo' - I can't be Satisfied
Muddy Waters - I Just Want to Make Love to You
Corky Siegel - I'm a King Bee
Chris Thomas King - Red Mud
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Pride and Joy
Brother Yusef - I got the Blues
Fruteland Jackson - Blues 2.0
The Fabulous Thunderbirds - C-Boy's Blues
ZZ Top - Just got Back From Baby's
The Robins - Smokey Joe's Cafe
Maria Muldaur - New Orleans Hop Scop Blues
Luther Alison - Little Red Rooster
Elvis Presley - Heartbreak Hotel

My favorite new song that I heard from the weekend was played by LA's Whitton Frank. It was already one of my favorite songs due to its historical story, but I had never heard this version before and I fell in love with it! The song is called "Motherless Child," sung by Bar Scott. Thanks Whitton, that was beautiful.

For those interested in what we did with Evelyn, I wrote a completely separate blog about it since I learned so much about what traveling will be like with her.

1 comment: