Friday, September 24, 2010

Blues in the Star Shower and Seattle Lindy Exchange

It’s always interesting to me that I will go completely out of my way for an event that’s far away, but not alter my schedule at all when the event is in my own town.

Blues Dancing in the Star Shower, an event thrown together last minute by an organizer who made a lot of promises to teachers, DJs, and registered dancers that he didn’t keep, was also local. I attended one night. I wasn’t too sad to miss most of that event given that it was a camp site that we danced at, which I’m not really into because there’s no shower. And, a lot of people showed up, saw that many of the teachers canceled after they were told they couldn’t be paid, and went home right away. BUT the people that did stay made the most of it and had a great time. I salute them. They were fun to play with on the one night I did go.

Seattle Lindy Exchange came and went quickly, and I attended one night of the three, and that’s because I was schedule to DJ the late night. The Seattle scene feels so different from other scenes in that the blues and Lindy-Hop social scenes are completely different. On the night that I was there, the blues room had maybe 4 couples MAX at any given time. No one wanted to blues, they were there to Lindy with the Seattle Lindy-hoppers, who have a very good reputation to be awesome, which is a reputation they’ve earned. Seattle has an incredible Lindy scene, Incredible. There are a few national and international teachers that come from this Lindy scene, so you can bet that many of the dancers in the area have taken their classes and are on their way to becoming equally as incredible. Hence, the blues at this exchange were severly lacking. The blues DJs were all local, and all had only one set the entire weekend. That was fine with me, considering it compt me into the event, which rocks. It just created a different feel towards the blues in general. I suppose that’s why it’s taken me 2 months to write about, and why I didn’t save my set list. Sorry.

On the plus side, the Lindy a the SLX was AWESOME. I went to the Friday night dance and thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

No comments:

Post a Comment