Wednesday, April 27, 2011

What is fusion?

Rising in popularity are fusion events and venues.

When you hear the word “fusion,” what kind of music do you think of? Right now, many DJs and dancers expect to play/dance to experimental songs that fall under multiple categories: dub-step, trip-hop, electronica, hip-hop, and whatever else stretches the dancer to experiment with the dance techniques and try new things. “Blues fusion” can be any song that you can potentially blues dance to that isn’t actually blues. Sometimes, hopefully more often than not, “fusion” means combining 2 different dances; other times, it means anything goes.

Fusion has so much potential for growth for all dancers because it provides an environment where multiple dance styles are encouraged. However, I really feel that the term “fusion” should be saved for when you’re fusing 2 dances together, like “tango-blues fusion,” for example. A song that you can potentially blues dance to that isn’t a blues song, I feel, should be called “experimental” rather than “fusion.” Fusion, in itself, is not a genre, and I think the term has gotten very ambiguous in the dance scene. When someone is scheduled to DJ a “fusion” set, what does that mean? I’ve come to expect just about anything, which makes me feel like there is absolutely no structure to what fusion DJs are being asked to play.

“Can you play a fusion-y set?” hmmmm . . . . . okay so a blues song maybe every . . . 4-5 songs? And what do I play in between? Anything you potentially blues dance to, which means something different to everyone. Play all the music that makes you want to dance that you can’t play anywhere else. That makes me want to play “Lean On Me” by Club Nouveau.

I would love to see more required of fusion DJs. Give us a reason to really learn the dance! Fusion events and venues organize these kick-ass classes, but those classes will produce little results if the dancers aren’t pushed to use those skills on the social dance floor. This is why I like the traveling fusion exchange so much – they have assigned sets for WCS, tango, and blues. There still are “fusion” sets, where anything goes, but you at least have multiple opportunities to dance the dances you’re learning in the workshops.

As far as “fusion” dances and venues, I think the DJs need more structure. If your lesson is on Tango, hire a Tango DJ to trade 3s with a blues DJ; do the same with WCS, Lindy-Hop, Salsa, or any other kind of dance style you’re focusing on that night. Because what it really comes down to what the DJs are playing. You can talk and teach these multiple dances at the beginning of a dance or during workshops at an event, but you’ll get nowhere if you teach different dance styles at fusion workshops and then send your dancers off to evening and night dances that aren’t full of this kind of music. Right now, there’s no salsa played in a fusion set. There’s most definitely no upbeat big band to Lindy-Hop to. I do like hearing tango-alternative music, or pop for WCS, or real blues in these fusion sets, majority of the songs you can dance all 3 of these styles to. THAT is great “fusion” music. Tango, blues, and west-coast dancers can dance to many different kinds of music and there is a lot of music that you can do all 3 dances to in one song if you want. However, the “experimental” songs, the ones that are not blues, not good songs for WCS, not Tango songs, but just something a little different to stretch the imagination for your dancing, are being classified as “fusion.” I’ve seen it called “liquid” or “alt-blues,” which I think are both appropriate. I believe this is where there is exponential room for improvement. This is where there is very little structure, and very little requirements for DJs. We need guidance! Leaders, give us direction! WHAT IS FUSION?! When you ask me to play fusion, what exactly are you wanting me to play? Because everywhere I go, it’s something different.

In the future, I plan to host a Lindy-fusion workshop and dance specific to the blues dance community who started out doing blues and haven’t yet taken the jump into the world of Lindy. More to come on that later.

2 comments:

  1. Wait? You mean people actually hire DJs instead of just have their friends play whatever that specific social circle likes? I like the idea of trading 3s with somebody, there is no way I can be versed in all forms of music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with a lot of what Emily has to say, but I also think Fusion is an opportunity for the DJs to experiment. I get asked a lot "What is Fusion" and I often start my answer with a little laugh because it's so hard to define, as Emily says, it's different everywhere you go. I personally define Fusion as "An exploration of the Triumvirate of Dance. The Triumvirate being how you, the dancer, connect with the music, your partner(s), and the earth." I believe that all dance, especially at the highest levels explores this Triumvirate, however they often do it within a given context. If dance is a language then Blues, Lindy, Tango, Salsa, etc... are all dialects. I think of Fusion as an exploration of the entire dance language not just one dialect. There are also a ton of movement styles out there (think martial arts) which aren’t traditionally considered “dance” but can be a lot of fun to play around with in the context of dance. When I ask someone to DJ fusion I will often tell them to “Play the music that you really want to play but don’t have a venue to play it in”. I want the music to challenge a dancer on how they connect to it. I also really agree with Emily that if you do a lesson before a dance the DJs should be encouraged to connect their music to that lesson. At OMFusion we have two very different types of drop in lessons, Concept Based and Skill Based. Concept Based lessons are the ones where we explore an idea that can be associated with any dance styles, i.e. Connecting from the heart, increase awareness from outside of your own partnership to the entire floor, nontraditional forms of connection etc. Skill Based are traditional dance skills, Blues, Tango, Salsa, Hip Hop, Tap, Ballet, Lindy, etc… When we have a skill based lesson I make it a point to inform my DJ of this and ask them to design their set with that in mind. Give the dancers a chance to play with the skill set they learned in the lesson. Emily is right, it is on the organizers to give the DJs guidance, expectations and limits. A number of less experienced DJs have been asking me for an opportunity to play at OMFusion and I, as the primary organizer, have been reluctant because I haven’t been able to give them clear guidance and expectations. Once I have clear expectations of what I expect from the DJs, I can then communicate that to new and old DJs alike giving us all a platform to grow, experiment, and play from.

    ReplyDelete